RT Myriad - шаблон joomla Joomla

Monuments

Patriarchy residence

This is the most monumental building from the 19th century in Vojvodina. It represents the combination of Baroque and pseudo-Renaissance styles. The Museum of the Serbian Orthodox Church, so-called Treasury, is situated within the palace. Nowadays, the Residence accommodates the seat of Srem Diocese and it serves as the summer residence of the Serbian patriarch.

 

 

Orthodox Cathedral

The church built in 1762 is dedicated to St. Nicolas. This single-nave church is one of the most beautiful examples of the 18th century architecture in Vojvodina. Its iconostasis is regarded as the masterpiece of Serbian baroque painting. The coffin containing the holy relics of the second Serbian archbishop, St. Arsenije Sremac, is located in front of the iconostasis. The church got its present appearance after the reconstruction carried out in 1909 and 1910.

 

Karlovci Grammar School

The oldest Serbian grammar school was founded in 1791. The present school building dates from 1891, and it is an endowment of the Serbian patriarch German Andjelić and his brother Stevan. Nowadays, Karlovci Grammar School is a philological secondary school, where modern and classical languages are studied.

 

Fountain 'Four Lions'

The fountain was built in 1799 in honour of finishing the first public system of water supply in Karlovci. It was renovated in October 2007 thanks to Miodrag Radulovački, MD, PhD, who was a student of Karlovci Grammar School. A legend says that everyone who drinks water from this fountain will eventually return to Karlovci and stay here for good.


 

Karlovci Theological School

The oldest Serbian Theological School was established by metropolitan Stevan Stratimirović in 1794. The present building in which the School of St. Arsenije works today was built by patriarch Georgije Branković for the purposes of the Common Funds in 1902. The department of the Archive of the Serbian Academy for Science and Arts is also situated in this building.

 

Chapel of Peace

This exceptional monument was built in 1817 on the site where famous Karlovci Peace Treaty had been signed between the countries of the Christian Alliance and Turkey in 1699. During the negotiations, for the first time in the history of the world diplomacy, the round table was used officially. The original conference hall that had been made of wood was replaced with the present chapel by decree of Vienna War Council.

 

Tomb of Branko Radicević

The tombstone was erected in 1885 over the grave of the famous Serbian poet whose earthly remains had been transferred from Vienna to Stražilovo. It was built in the shape of pyramid made of stone blocks brought from different areas inhabited by the Serbs. The monument was renovated in 2011 thanks to Miodrag Radulovački, MD, PhD, who was a student of Karlovci Grammar School.

 

Roman Catholic Church

The church dedicated to the Holy Trinity was built in 1768 in the Baroque style. The church portal is one of the most beautiful examples of this style in the region. It was built on the site of the former Benedictine basilica. The church has been renovated and expanded several times.

 

Presentation of the Virgin Mary Monastery (Upper Church)

The church is dedicated to the Presentation of the Virgin Mary. It was built in 1746 on the site of the older church from the 16th century. Besides the large number of priests and distinguished citizens of Karlovci who were buried in the church yard, the tombs of Serbian patriarchs, Georgije Branković and Lukijan Bogdanović, are also in the crypt of the church.

 

Lower Church

The church is dedicated to St. Peter and Paul, the apostles. It was mentioned for the first time in a written document in 1599. Instead of the old church, a new church building was erected on the same place in 1719. In the church yard, there is a huge plane tree, which is under the state protection and represents an exceptional natural monument of Sremski Karlovci.

 

Town Hall

The edifice was built in the period between 1808 and 1811 in Neoclassical style. The most significant event that took place in this building was the proclamation of Serbian Dukedom (Vojvodina) from its balcony in May of 1848. Nowadays, it is a seat of the municipal government of Sremski Karlovci.

 

Seminary

The boarding school for the students of the Karlovci Theological School was built in 1901. Having realized the importance of the boarding school for the future of the Seminary and its pupils, Serbian Patriarch Georgije Branković decided to build this edifice at his own expense.

 

Stefaneum

This building was erected in 1903 on the initiative of the Patriarch Georgije Branković to provide an accommodation for the students of the Seminary and Grammar School. After the World War II, however, it fell into disuse and neglect. Nowadays, the Institute of the Serbian People, founded by Serbian World Community, is situated in the building.

 

Monument to General Wrangel

This is the first monument built to the Russian immigration in the world. It dates from 2007 and it is dedicated to Pyotr Nikolayevich Wrangel, the general of the Russian White Army. The monument is the work of the Russian sculptor Vasilij Azemsa.

 

Pharmacy

This is one of the oldest pharmacies in Vojvodina. It was built in 1890 and it has been working ever since. Ludwig Straser founded the pharmacy that is known for its interior decorated with the furniture made on request in Venice in 1860. Even today, it depicts the ambience of the second half of the 19th century.

 

Panoramic Spot

This is a place with an amazing panoramic view of the town of Sremski Karlovci, its cultural and historical monuments, as well as the lowland of Bačka region. The most significant part of this spot is an open-air stage which consists of two levels. There is also a huge gilded cross built instead of the wooden one that stood there for decades. Visitors can also see the sculpture of the poet Duško Trifunović, the work of sculptor Stevan Filipović.


 

 

image

Premier
Prezident Hotel

Address: Karađorđeva 2
Phone: +381 21/884-111
Read More
image

“Dunav“
Hotel

Address: Dunavska 5
Phone: +381 21/884-008
Read More
image

“Prezident“
Villa

Address: Belilo 71
Phone: +381 21/298-33-25
Read More
image

Rooms
“Belilo 69“

Address: Belilo 69
Phone: +381 21/2984-101
Read More
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3